We all love wearing make-up; it is a great way to express yourself, try new looks and feel more attractive. Many of us have had the experience of waking up, looking in the mirror, and noticing a new blemish, uneven roughness, dark areas and deeper lines, causing us to go right into the makeup case for coverage. While most women wear makeup, be careful not to overload the face, and be sure to add weekly exfoliation to your routine. A recent study conducted by Canada’s Environmental Defense Group showed that there is an alarming presence of pore-clogging substances found in cosmetic products that can cause imbalances in the skin and is commonly responsible for causing an increase in Rosacea, eczema, and acne.
Fear not! Here are some tips to keep your skin looking it best while also enjoying the beautiful benefits of make- up.
1) Start off with a clean slate. Cleaning your brushes is key for healthy, clear skin. Make up brushes are breeding grounds for bacteria, which can cause skin irritation and break outs.
2) Read the label. Many believe that using hypo-allergic make-up implies it will not congest the skin and that it is “better” or “healthier”. However, last year, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled that FDA’s regulation defining “hypoallergenic” was invalid. This means there is now no regulation specifically defining or governing the use of the term “hypoallergenic” or similar claims.
3) Exfoliate weekly. Remove dead skin build up several times per week with our CucumberBead Cleanser. Your makeup base will go on smoother and you may even use less in the future. Using the softest, cotton wash cloths allows you to very gentle exfoliate and rinse your skin without over stimulating it.
4) Cleanse at night. Avoid going to sleep with make-up on. If you wear make-up during the day. A.M. cleansing helps get rid of the makeup and grime. The PM cleanse is to ensure that your skin is really clean and free from impurities so that your moisturizers and toners can absorb better. It is important to use a cleanser for your skin type so your skin is not stripped of its natural oils.
5) Take off your mascara. Use our Soothing Chamomile Eye Makeup Remover after a long day and ensure all mascara is completely gone from your lashes. If you sleep in your mascara, your eyelashes may eventually become dry and brittle, and are more likely to fall out.